Libya: Revere) is a city located in the central part of Massachusetts, the United States, and in the eastern part of Suffolk County. It is about five miles (8 km) from central Boston City. It was named after the patriot Paul Libyan during the American Revolution. In the 2010 census, the population was 51,755.
the position of Suffolk County and Libya in Massachusetts
|- Type||Act of the Mayor and the City Government Commission|
|- Mayor||Daniel Rizzo|
|· Total||10.0mi2 (26.0 km2)|
|· Land||5.9mi2 (15.3 km2)|
|- Water surface||4.1mi2 (10.6 km2)|
|· Density||8,772.0/mi2 (3,386.9/km2)|
|equal time||UTC-5 (Eastern Standard Time)|
|· Daylight saving time||UTC-4 (Eastern Daylight Time)|
|Postal code|| |
|area code||339 / 781|
|GNIS feature ID||0612810|
Libya is south of Winslop, East Boston, Chelsea, west of Everett and Morden, north of Sogus and Lin, and east of the Atlantic. According to the National Census Bureau, the entire area of the city is 10 square miles (26 km2), of which 5.9 square miles (15 km2) are land, 4.1 square miles (11 km2) are water areas, and 40.98% water area
The people who lived in the Libyan region were Indian belonging to the Portackets, and were called Lamniemashe Indians. The Paetacket chief was Lin's Nanipachet. In 1616, plague, possibly smallpox, swept the area and many people died. The Namipachemet, who now lives in seclusion in Medford City at the Merrimack River, was found dead in the fort at the end of Rock Hill, overlooking the river in 1619. Three sons succeeded him. One of them, Wanoha Kham, another called Sagamore John, ruled the Winnisemite (later the city of Chelsea) and the Indians in Ramnie Marsh.
The Indians had a knowledge of the vast wilderness which had not yet been explored, and aided the pioneers in struggling to survive. During the Philippe War, a friendly Indian was placed on the present island of Dia, many of which died. Some of the Indians on the island had helped the settlers defeat the tribes who set up other wars.
Ramny Marsh was initially divided among 21 prominent citizens of Boston City. By 1639, the original zoning was integrated into seven large farms. Agriculture was the main industry in Winismitt, especially Ramny Marsh. On September 25, 1634, Ramny Marsh was merged into Boston City. Boston City was just named Boston four years ago. The Winismitt and Plane Point (later called Winthrop) were also merged into Boston City. From the Winismitt crossing in 1614 to the Old Salem, through Ramny Marsh, the first county road in North America.
In 1739, Ramnie Marsh, Winismid and Plempoint separated from Boston and established as a town in Chelsea. The largest of the three, Ramny Marsh (or North Chelsea), was selected as a town center.
In 1775, the first battle involving the Navy was fought in Ramniemash and other places in the American War of Independence, and played a role.
In 1852, the preampoint was separated from North Chelsea and became the town of Winthrop. In the same year, Chelsea became an independent city. In 1871, North Chelsea changed its name to Libya after Paul Libya, a patriot of the Revolution. Libya was dead in 1818.
On the morning of July 28, 2014, a tornado of the improved Fujita Scale "EF2" occurred in Chelsea and became strong when they entered Libya City, causing a lot of damage to many buildings including the City Hall of Libya. Damaged vehicles, power outages, dangling electric wires and fallen trees were reported around Libya, Chelsea, Winthrop and Boston. It was the first tornado to hit Suffolk County since the U.S. National Weather Bureau began recording in 1950.
|* = population estimate. Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data|
The following is demographic data from the 2010 census.
The following is demographic data from the 2000 census.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
As of 2010, 27% of the Libyan population was born outside the United States. Many were from Asia, Europe and Latin America. The figure was double that of 1990.
Libya Beach is the oldest public beach in the United States. It's a pretty active beachfront area. From the beginning, it was 'the beach of the people' and was used by immigrants who entered the working class and the community. The Libyan Beach Preservation Historic Area was designated as the National Register of Historic Places in the United States in 1998 and became the entire Libyan Preservation Area in 2003.
The beach began to decline in the 1950s and was lined up with buildings abandoned by the Honky Tonk Bar in the early 1970s. In 1978, the great wind destroyed many of the remaining companies, entertainment facilities, pavilions, sideways and seawalls, which resulted in the final death sentence for the 'former' Libyan beach.
This area used to have a wide array of recreational vehicles and attractions. The Whip, Ferris wheel, Blue Bears Palace, Fan House, Harlies Dodgem, the Pitt, Himalayas, Hippo Rooms, San Diz, Wild House, Virginia Reel, and other facilities were available for hours to the residents and tourists. The main attraction was the Cyclone, the largest roller coaster in the United States. It was built in 1925, with a maximum speed of 50 miles/h (80 km/h) and a maximum height of 100 feet (30 meters). In addition, between 1911 and 1936, the Derby Race, a two-row parallel roller coaster, had several accidents and killed and injured people. Another roller coaster, Lightning, was one of the notorious "three terrible rallies" of Harry Trauber. In addition, there were two roller skate links, two bowling alleys and many light food stalls. Many dance marathons that became popular in the 1930s were held, including Ocean View and Beach View.
In the 1980s, the beach was reactivated in May, 1992, and became the center of efforts to preserve Massachusetts and revitalize the Department of Recreation and Libya. Today, there are high rise houses, beaches refilled with sand, renovated pavilions, and remodeled main streets. On the weekend of July 19, 1996, they celebrated the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Libyan Beach.
Libya has eight places designated as National Register of Historic Places.
Church of Christ
Immaculate Concept Museum
Mary T. Ronan School
Libyan Beach Resort
Historic Center of Libya Beach
City Hall and Police Station of Libya
Ramny Marsh burial site
Kelly's roast beef
Kerry's roast beef is a fast food store established in Libya in 1951. It's along the Libyan beach. Kelly claimed that he invented a modern roast beef sandwich, and he said there was no such thing in 1951.
Necco is considered the oldest successive company in the United States of America, and is known for its name, Necco Wefurs, seasonal sweet hearts vacation hearts, Clarkber and Havilland Singh Mints. The headquarters was located at American Region Highway 135.
Wonderland Greyhound Park
Wonderland Greyhound Park is a Greyhound race track owned by the Westwood Group. It was built at the site where the former Wonderland Amusement Park was located. The current facility opened on June 12, 1935 and ran 361 races on 100 days during the race from April to September. In 1934, the Mass. Commonwealth of Massachusetts legalized the distribution of sales in the Parimüell style. The race has been held in this park from June 1935 to September 2009. As a result of the referendum, the Greyhound race was banned, and September 18, 2009 was the final day. There is no future plan.
In 1838, the Eastern Railway (later Boston and Main Railway) opened, and in 1875, the Boston Libya Beach and Lynne Railway opened, and the population of the city began to increase rapidly, and the beach was developed as a summer resort. By 10 years later, in 1885, the population had reached 3,637, three times that of 15 years ago. In 1890, the number was 5,688.
In 1871, a major train accident occurred, in which the 'Portland Express' of the Eastern Railway collided with the rear of each stop of the commuter train that had stopped at Libya Station, which was the worst train accident in the history of Massachusetts.
The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority's blue line ends in Libya, stopping at Wonderland, Libya and Beachmont.
The main roads running through the city are as follows:
- National Route 1
- Massachusetts Route 1A
- Massachusetts Route 16
- Massachusetts Route 60
- Massachusetts Route 107
- Massachusetts Route 145
The Libyan State of Education operates public schools. High school students can enter Libyan High School or Coast School. There are three public junior high schools. Private, pre-kindergarten and pre-eighth-grade schools are the Eagle Heights Academy and the Immaculate Concept.
well known native
- Horatio Alger, novelist
- Elizabeth Bishop, poet
- John Cazar, actor
- Tony Conigliaro, Major League Baseball player, Boston Red Sox, etc.
- Glenn Dunzig, singer-songwriter
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Read on June 6, 2011.
- ^ City of Revere History
- ^ Wright, Bruce (July 28, 2014). "Tornado Rips Through Revere". The Boston Globe. Boston Globe Media Partners, LLCJuly 29, 2014.
- ^ Morrison, Sara (July 28, 2014). "Tornadoes of Massachusetts Past". The Boston Globe. Boston Globe Media Partners, LLCJuly 29, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Read on January 31, 2008.
- ^ Sacchetti, Maria. "A melting pot stretches out to the suburbs." Boston Globe. September 15, 2010. p. 1 (Archive). Retrieved on September 23, 2014.
- ^ RevereBeach.com History page Accessed 2008-08-30 Archive August 1, 2008 - Wayback Machine
- ^ Kennedy, Louise, "At Kelly's, roast beef sandwiches rule", The Boston Globe, May 18, 2011
- ^ Cf. "Kelly's History", company website
- ^ "Revere Middle Schools - Revere, MA | GreatSchools". Read on June 8, 2012.
- Official website - Official Site
- Revere Chamber of Commerce
- Revere Beach
- The Revere Journal
- Revere Society for Cultural and Historic Preservation
- Visit Revere
- Revere Community Portal